Emeka Okereke is a Nigerian visual artist and writer who lives and works between Lagos and Berlin, moving from one to the other on a frequent basis. A past member of the renowned Nigerian photography collective Depth of Field (DOF), he holds a bachelor’s/master’s degree from the Ecole Nationale supérieure des
Okereke is the founder and artistic director of Invisible Borders Trans-African Project, an artist-led initiative that addresses gaps and misconceptions
Okereke's work oscillates between diverse mediums. He employs photography, video, poetry and performative interventions in the exploration of one over-arching theme: that of borders.
Another aspect of his artistic practice lies in the intersection between art-making and pedagogy, specifically,
Okereke has served as guest/visiting lecturer in several art platforms and learning institutions – most recently Hartford University’s MFA program in photography and Summer Academy of Fine Arts, Salzburg Austria (July 2018).
Image credit: Ayotola
- 2016 Nominee, Prix Elysée for Photography (2016 - 2018)
- 2016 Long list nominee, Prix Pictet, 2016
- 2009 Artist of the Year, Future Awards Nigeria
- 2008 Winner, Visa Pour la Creation for project "Bagamoyo", Maputo Mozambique
- 2004 TV5, Paris Prize for Best Photography at the Exhibition "Made in Africa", Milan Italy.
- 2003 Best Young Photographer of the 5th Festival of photography. Bamako, Mali.
- 2009 – Present Founder/ Artistic Director of Invisible Borders Trans-African Photographers Organisation.
- 2018: “Exploring a Void”. Salzburger Kunstverein, Salzburg Austria (Solo Exhibition)
- 2018: “Whose Land Have I Lit on Now?”, Savvy Contemporary Berlin
- 2017: "Collective Intelligence", Centre Gorges Pompidou, Paris, France.
- 2017 A Trans-African Worldspace, Amsterdam Photography Museum (FOAM)
- 2017 “History ASAP”, Kunstraum, Dusseldorf, Germany.
- 2017 “Collective Thinking, For Freedom”, Aperture Foundation Gallery NY
- 2016 “No Borders” Gallery Dominique Fiat, Paris, France
- 2016 Unseen Art Photo Fair, with Invisible Borders Trans-African Project
- 2015 56th Venice Biennale of Arts, International exhibition curated by Okwui Enwezor.
- 2012 New Museum of New York,
exhibitionwith Invisible Borders Trans-African Project.
- 2011 ATOPIA – Art and City in
21stCentury, CCCB, Barcelona.
- 2009 Photoquai Biennale, Musée Quai Branly Paris.
- 2009 2nd Pan African Festival of Arts of Algeria, Algiers.
- 2009 2nd Thessaloniki Biennale of Arts, Thessaloniki
- 2009 10th Havana Biennale, Havana.
- 2009 A Tale of One City, Oslo Museum, Oslo.
- 2008 Bagamoyo – Photography and the Useful Space, Catembe, Maputo. (Solo)
- 2008 Unspoken Hero, Neukölln Museum, Berlin. (Solo)
- 2006 Snap Judgement, International Center of Photography, New York. Curated by Okwui.
- 2003 5th Bamako Biennale of Photography, Bamako, Mali.
- July 2018: Lecturer at Summer Academy of Fine Arts, Salzburg Austria. Photography class “Exploring a Void”
- May 2018: Guest lecturer Hartford Art School MFA Photography Student Critique Berlin Session
- October 2017: Guest Lecturer, Hartford University MFA Photography. San Francisco, California.
- May 2017: Guest Lecturer, Hartford University MFA Photography. Berlin, Germany.
- February 2017: Critical Writing Workshop,
NleleInstitute of Photography, Lagos, Nigeria.
View complete Curriculum Vitae