Emeka Okereke born in 1980 is a Nigerian visual artist and writer who lives and works between Africa and Europe, moving from one to the other on a frequent basis. He came in contact with photography in 2001. He was a member of the renowned Nigerian photography collective, Depth of Field (DOF).
Presently, his works oscillate between diverse mediums. He employs mainly photography, time-based medium of video, poetry and performative interventions in the exploration of the central theme of ‘borders’. His works grapple with the questions of exchange and co-existence in the context of various social-cultural confluences. Another aspect of his practice lies in project organising: coordinating artistic interventions which promote exchanges cutting across indigenous and international platforms.
In 2008 he organised the first ever photographic exchange projects between schools in France and Nigeria – The Fine Art School of Paris and Yaba College of Arts and Technology Lagos. This was eventually followed by Crossing Compasses: Lagos-Berlin Photo Exchange and Converging Visions: Nigeria - Netherlands Photo Exchange (2012).
He is the Founder and Artistic Director of Invisible Borders: The Trans-African Project
In 2003, he won the Photographer award from the AFAA “Afrique en Création” in the 5th edition of the Bamako Photo Festival of photography. He has a Bachelors/Masters degree from the National Fine Art School of Paris and has exhibited in biennales and art festivals in different cities of the world, notably Lagos, Bamako, Cape Town, London, Berlin, Bayreuth, Frankfurt, Nuremberg, Brussels, Johannesburg, New York, Washington, Barcelona, Seville, Madrid, Paris, etc. His works was exhibited at the 56th Venice Biennale of Arts under the Invisible Borders space-installation: “A Trans-African Worldspace” which he also curated.
- 2016 Nominee, Prix Elysée for Photography (2016 - 2018)
- 2016 Long list nominee, Prix Pictet, 2016
- 2009 Artist of the Year, Future Awards Nigeria
- 2008 Winner, Visa Pour la Creation for project "Bagamoyo", Maputo Mozambique
- 2004 TV5, Paris Prize for Best Photography at the Exhibition "Made in Africa", Milan Italy.
- 2003 Best Young Photographer of the 5th Festival of photography. Bamako, Mali.
- 2009 – Present Founder/ Artistic Director of Invisible Borders Trans-African Photographers Organisation.
- 2017 A Trans-African Worldspace, Amsterdam Photography Museum (FOAM)
- 2017 “History ASAP”, Kunstraum, Dusseldorf, Germany.
- 2017 “Collective Thinking, For Freedom”, Aperture Foundation Gallery NY
- 2016 “No Borders” Gallery Dominique Fiat, Paris, France
- 2016 Unseen Art Photo Fair, with Invisible Borders Trans-African Project
- 2015 56th Venice Biennale of Arts, International exhibition curated by Okwui Enwezor.
- 2012 New Museum of New York, exhibition with Invisible Borders Trans-African Project.
- 2011 ATOPIA – Art and City in 21st Century, CCCB, Barcelona.
- 2009 Photoquai Biennale, Musée Quai Branly Paris.
- 2009 2nd Pan African Festival of Arts of Algeria, Algiers.
- 2009 2nd Thessaloniki Biennale of Arts, Thessaloniki
- 2009 10th Havana Biennale, Havana.
- 2009 A Tale of One City, Oslo Museum, Oslo.
- 2008 Bagamoyo – Photography and the Useful Space, Catembe, Maputo. (Solo)
- 2008 Unspoken Hero, Neukölln Museum, Berlin. (Solo)
- 2006 Snap Judgement, International Center of Photography, New York. Curated by Okwui.
- 2003 5th Bamako Biennale of Photography, Bamako, Mali.
View complete Curriculum Vitae